Wednesday 18 April 2012

Making Isandlwana Hill with Diane

The other terrain job I planned was the centre piece for the Isandlwana game.  Jon had wanted to make this hill for years and never got around to it.  While I had some blocks of polystyrene handy I thought I could make use of the volcano drying time and get on with it.

I began by Googling the battlefield and got a rough idea of what I was looking for.  As the game is in 15mm rather than 25mm I had to take care not to make it too big.

As you can see by the pictures, the work is still at a pretty early stage.  All I've done is to cut a base from insulation board and then add two layers of polystyrene.  I've then covered the whole thing in a PVA and wall filler mix and scattered sand and gravel over it.

When I get back to Crete, it needs to be coloured, the hill will be a lighter shade than the base and I need to add some clump foliage here and there.


You can see from the picture that the PVA and sand is still drying out.


I quite like the way that the bigger bits of gravel have gathered at the bottom of the feature.




This is second on the list to get finished when I get back to Crete in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment